Linux-compatible Laptop add-on sound cards?

Jeffrey Watts jeffrey.w.watts at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 14:18:16 CDT 2008

What's the chipset?   You might want to dig a bit deeper, it's very possible
that the chipset is supported, but that auto-detection fails.  Back then a
lot of those chipsets were very non-standard and you had to manually enter
in IRQs and so forth.

Jeffrey.

On Sun, Jul 27, 2008 at 10:25 AM, Leo Mauler <webgiant at yahoo.com> wrote:

> For the last few years I've been seeing these add-on sound cards for
> laptops which promise better sound than the standard laptop sound chipsets.
>  And on the same lines as my recent thread on printers, I know of at least
> one person who still uses Windows98 on his ancient laptop (PII) because
> Linux doesn't have drivers for the sound hardware on his laptop.  I've
> popped out his hard drive, dropped in another one, and installed Ubuntu
> 8.04, and while he's impressed, the "no sound" problem is an upgrade-killer.
>
> Does anyone know if there is an add-on sound system for laptops, for which
> there are Linux drivers?  While a laptop upgrade may sound better, even the
> used laptops with PIII CPUs are over $400, while the add-on sound cards
> generally are under $50, making the Linux switch "with sound" much more
> attractive with just the add-on sound to an existing perfectly functional
> laptop.
>
> Even the folks who have Linux-supported sound on their laptops would
> benefit from these cards (if Linux drivers exist for them), which generally
> have features on them not found on most laptops, such as surround-sound
> features.

"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from
oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that
will reach to himself." -- Thomas Paine