Usenet NEWS vs. Bittorrent

Leo Mauler webgiant at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 19 04:15:29 CDT 2008

--- On Mon, 7/14/08, Jonathan Hutchins <hutchins at tarcanfel.org> wrote:

> On Monday 14 July 2008 11:18:50 am Leo Mauler wrote:
>
> > Most of the posts are binary posts...
>
> What?  How do you determine that?  Did you download
> 20,000 groups and count by hand?

Ever since I started quoting NetNews statistics, the source I'm quoting from downloads all the NetNews groups 240 times daily and counts by computer.

Of the NetNews daily postings, currently only 0.2% are text-only posts, which is actually a dip in the number of text-only posts (down from 0.3%).  Perhaps TWC had more text-only newsgroup users than anyone expected (though that, unlike the NetNews posting statistics, is merely speculation).

> I think we've had enough imaginary statistics in this
> "discussion".

My statistics have never been "imaginary" in this discussion.

> If you cite a statistic from here out, cite a source.

Jonathan, I've been posting a source since I started quoting statistics, the source I get all my NetNews numbers from.

www.newsadmin.org

The direct link to the type of messages posted on NetNews is at http://www.newsadmin.org/msgtype.htm.  This is updated daily.  The current total number of daily NetNews posts is

The current percentage of NetNews posts (as of this E-mail) which are text-only is 0.2%.

As of this E-mail date and time:

The current percentage of jpeg/gif postings is: 50.7%
The current percentage of par/rar  postings is: 17.2%
The current percentage of mp3      postings is: 1.1%
The current percentage of avi/mpeg postings is: 0.6%
The current percentage of exe/zip  postings is: 0.6%

Also note that Newsadmin.org does not open RAR files to determine their contents, so the jpeg/gif/avi/mpeg/mp3 numbers could be slightly underestimated.