Usenet NEWS vs. Bittorrent

Leo Mauler webgiant at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 13 15:09:56 CDT 2008

--- On Sat, 7/12/08, Christofer C. Bell <christofer.c.bell at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 12, 2008 at 6:37 AM, Leo Mauler
> <webgiant at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > --- On Tue, 7/8/08, Jeffrey Watts
> <jeffrey.w.watts at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > I don't care if it's more useful for you,
> > > it's not good for the ISPs.
> >
> > Depending on the definition of "not good".
> > If you lose clients because you don't have a
> > news server, then having one is good.
>
> They would lose whom?  You and your couple of
> buddies?  I don't think they'll care.

11,000,000 messages a DAY in *current* NetNews traffic is not "me and a couple of buddies".  The "three of us" aren't generating that much daily traffic all on our own.  Clearly there are a lot more than three NetNews users, and I was under the impression that companies ignored huge markets at their peril.

(http://www.newsadmin.com/usenet.asp)