Usenet NEWS vs. Bittorrent

Christofer C. Bell christofer.c.bell at gmail.com
Sat Jul 12 17:55:47 CDT 2008

On Sat, Jul 12, 2008 at 6:37 AM, Leo Mauler <webgiant at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- On Tue, 7/8/08, Jeffrey Watts <jeffrey.w.watts at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > And I'm pointing out that it's wasteful, and poorly
> > designed for today's modern 24/7 Internet.
>
> Only from the perspective of ISPs.  From the end user perspective it
> frequently works a lot better than the alternatives (such as bittorrent).

And the ISP is the one providing the service, so they get to decide.  Cope.

> > I don't care if it's more useful for you, it's not
> > good for the ISPs.
>
> Depending on the definition of "not good".  If you lose clients because you
> don't have a news server, then having one is good.

They would lose whom?  You and your couple of buddies?  I don't think
they'll care.

> > You seem to forget that this stuff costs money, and
> > a service has to be good for both the servers as well
> > as the clients.  Netnews is not,
>
> Not good for the ISPs, great for the clients.

ISPs are the ones providing the service.  They get to decide.  Cope.

> > and that's why it's slowly going away.  This is a
> > good thing.
>
> Only if the ISPs don't hemorrhage users away to ISPs with news servers

Who?  You and your couple of buddies?  I don't think they'll care.  Again,
cope.

> > > There's a difference between supporting something
> > and just admiring its technological advantages to the end
> > user.  I support NetNews' text-only groups, but I
> > merely admire the system of binary distribution through
> > NetNews.  I'd still want text-only NetNews to stick
> > around, and if the price is binary NetNews vanishing, then
> > so be it, despite its technological advantages to end users
> > in the sharing of binary files.
> >
> > You've obviously never run a production INN server.
> > There is NOTHING admirable about how it works.
>
> There's plenty admirable from the end user side of things, regardless of
> what you've seen on the server end.

No one cares but you.  Just shut the fuck up already.

--
Chris