monitor not returning from power saving mode Debian etch

Billy Crook billycrook at gmail.com
Sat Jul 12 11:47:28 CDT 2008

Aside from I thought etch came with grub by default...  It shouldn't
matter which bootloader you use.  Reading the description in the body
of your message, it sounds like Xorg and the 'graphical boot' thing
are set to some frequency or resolution which your monitor does not
support.  As J Hutchins mentioned.  Try booting with the 'nofb' kernel
option.  Also, just try the option '3' and even if the "graphical
boot" (init scripts) happen with a black screen, it should stop at a
text terminal, from which you can fix Xorg.conf, and test with startx
and [ctrl]+[alt]+[Backspace].