Usenet NEWS vs. Bittorrent

Leo Mauler webgiant at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 8 07:24:36 CDT 2008

--- On Mon, 7/7/08, Jeffrey Watts <jeffrey.w.watts at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 6, 2008 at 6:05 AM, Leo Mauler
> <webgiant at yahoo.com> wrote:

> > To contrast with Usenet NEWS binary groups, the
> > uploader uploads once, to one location, with PAR2
> > files for additional security.  Thereafter the
> > parts are available for usually a week or longer
> > and downloadable at much faster speeds than
> > bittorrent.
>
> So let me get this straight.  You go apoplectic on the
> list, yelling at everyone

No, just at you.  ;-)

> because Netnews may disappear and you'd lose access
> to valuable discussion groups, which you need because
> you're nearly blind and they are the only thing that
> apparently will work.

Will work better than so-called alternatives.

> You state that just because Netnews has been hijacked by
> porn, warez, and pirated media that the major ISPs ought
> not to turn off their servers.  You argue that Netnews
> ought to be saved, despite the binaries groups.

Well yes.  I even stated that I could care less if binaries groups vanished tomorrow.  Or today for that matter.

> Okay, here's what I have to ask you then.  Why are
> you defending _the use of Netnews as a way to
> download binaries_?

I'm just pointing out that it is a better way for Joe Average to download binaries than bittorrent, for lots of reasons all beneficial to Joe Average, be he the uploader or the downloader.

There's a difference between supporting something and just admiring its technological advantages to the end user.  I support NetNews' text-only groups, but I merely admire the system of binary distribution through NetNews.  I'd still want text-only NetNews to stick around, and if the price is binary NetNews vanishing, then so be it, despite its technological advantages to end users in the sharing of binary files.

Amiga technology made really great computers, but IBM PC technology ended up working better for me.  I can admire Amiga without desiring that it return and replace something I really do want.

[incoherent ranting snipped]