The Terrifying Switch to DTV (was Re: ISPs, Newsgroups, etc. ...OH MY!!!)

Jeffrey Watts jeffrey.w.watts at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 08:04:51 CDT 2008

On Sun, Jul 6, 2008 at 8:52 AM, Leo Mauler <webgiant at yahoo.com> wrote:

> There's a difference between *wanting to* buy a new TV to get color, instead of having to watch the color programming on a B&W TV (and *being able to do so*), and *having to* buy a new TV/convertor just to watch TV.

Yes, sometimes people using dinosaur tech get obsoleted.  It's
happened before, believe it or not:

1) People who used Edison's direct current systems (yup, long time ago)
2) People who used software on TRS-80s, Commodore 64s, etc
3) Anyone who used DOS, Win95
4) Anyone who used cellular phones (NOT wireless)
5) 8-track tapes, VHS, audio cassettes, DVDs (soon)
6) ISA, AGP cards

Stop crying already.  Go to https://www.dtv2009.gov.  This has been
known about for a while now, and is a very good thing, as we do not
want to keep using analog shit forever.

> Because if weak digital signals aren't watchable, then we're *losing* a lot in the switchover.  We will have gone from *some* TV in remote areas to *NO* TV in remote areas.  Shrinking the broadcast region is a loss, no matter how much you try to tart up the switchover as a "gain".

What's this "we" shit, white man?  LOL I'm willing to bet that almost
everyone on this list has cable, satellite, or that lame AT&T thing.
I highly doubt that we're "losing a lot".  You sure like to cry about
crap, don't ya?

Besides, is losing a television signal really that bad of a thing for
people?  Last I looked all of the stuff on broadcast television was
crap.

"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy
from oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a
precedent that will reach to himself." -- Thomas Paine