ISPs, Newsgroups, etc. ...OH MY!!!

Jon Pruente jdpruente at gmail.com
Sat Jul 5 15:45:59 CDT 2008

>> NOW, with DTV becomming *law* the poorest must pay just to get what is
>> SUPPOSED to be FREE and has been since its inception.
>
> What has been legislated is that free, broadcast television move to the new
> technology.  It will still exist, with new options for quality and diversity.
> You should look at what local, free broadcast stations are doing with the new
> technology.  We are getting more for free, not less.  Yes, you need a $40
> converter, and probably an antenna, which are not free, but no subscription
> is required.

I'm amazed at the way people are looking at the DTV Transition.  One
huge point here:  That regular analog TV you use to get the current
free analog over-the-air TV broadcasts wasn't free.  Neither is a new
TV that gets DTV.  The only change is the broadcast
standard/frequencies for over-the-air, and that's already been in
place and functional for a couple years.  Everyone could be on DTV
right now if they paid attention, but now that the cutoff is coming up
people are screaming "NOOO!!!11one!!! They can't do this to me!" but,
they really aren't doing anything.  Back in the 50's TV weren't cheap
to buy and colors TVs even more expensive.  Did people get over having
to buy a new TV to get COLOR?  Yep.  Will people get over having to
buy a (relatively) cheap convertor and not even need a whole new TV?
Yep.  Has every TV sold for the last year needed a placard that stated
the type of reciever it has, so consumers can make an informed
decision?  Pretty much (lawsuits over the failuers to do so are on
going)

I think there is more FUD over DTV than there really should be.

Jon.