Suggestions for a Linux LiveCD which is command-line only?

Leo Mauler webgiant at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 27 08:58:14 CST 2008

--- Charles Steinkuehler <charles at steinkuehler.net>
wrote:

> Leo Mauler wrote:
> | I had a motherboard die on me recently.  I had
> | a spare machine with no OS and a spare hard
> | drive, so I booted up KNOPPIX on the spare
> | machine and set up the system to copy files off
> | the dead computer's hard drives onto the backup
> | hard drive.
> |
> | After about 24 hours only 15GB had copied
> | between the two hard drives, with 30GB to go.
> | I assume that KNOPPIX's heavy memory use was
> | slowing down the file transfer, and I think I
> | need a CLI-only LiveCD.
> |
> | The most commonly used tools I need for such
> | a LiveCD are network capability (including
> | DHCP client), Samba support for mounting Samba
> | shares on other machines, and "mc" to make
> | copying functions easier, such as for Windows
> | filenames with lots of spaces.  If anyone knows
> | of such a LiveCD, please let me know.
>
> Try out SystemRescueCD, based on Gentoo:
>
> http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page
>
> It's pretty lightweight (compared to Knoppix,
> etc), and includes everything you need.  You can
> even mount NTFS partitions full R/W.

Wow, you aren't kidding, this really is the ultimate
rescue LiveCD.  I'm going to get a copy right now, as
I <sigh> need to do another hard drive system backup.

I was briefly interested in the "Ultimate Boot CD",
but while the UBCD has more tools, especially
diagnostic tools, than the SystemRescueCD, UBCD seems
geared more for heavy-duty rescues (general
diagnostics, hard drive partitioning, and complete
hard drive backups), as opposed to smaller scale
rescues such as copying individual directories and/or
files, and restoring system files from backup.  UBCD
also doesn't seem to have network filesystem options
for hard drive backup.

http://ubcd.sourceforge.net/