The Regular Virtual Desktop Effect (was Re: The Cube Efffect)

Jon Pruente jdpruente at gmail.com
Sat Jan 26 15:48:02 CST 2008

On Jan 26, 2008 11:11 AM, Brendan G <moldybeats at gmail.com> wrote:
> That makes a lot of sense, actually.  I guess I don't really think
> about my desktop in terms of workflows.  I usually have windows that
> are relevant to the task at hand, and a few others (music player, for
> example).  Maybe if I did more multitasking, the virtual desktop idea
> would make more sense to me.  This discussion has made me want to give
> it another go....

It took me a while to get the idea in my head.  I was used to
minimizing programs when not in use, as I'd been doing that since the
late '80s on Amigas where I learned about real multitasking before I
got in to UNIX-like systems with even better MT, back when screen real
estate mattered even more.  I don't remember exactly when I broke from
a single desktop setup to using virtual desktops but it is a definite
change of pace.  It probably really started when I was getting used to
multiple VTs on older systems that didn't run a GUI nicely back in the
day. Those were PC systems running NetBSD.  It's still surprising how
advanced the Amiga was (feature wise) when compared to PCs and how
long they took to catch up, even just in 32-bit preemptive
multitasking and reentrant kernels...  I was really happy when Apple
put Spaces into 10.5.  That made my old G4 mini feel like a much
better machine.

Jon.