Suggestions for a Linux LiveCD which is command-line only?

Leo Mauler webgiant at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 26 07:54:36 CST 2008

I had a motherboard die on me recently.  I had a spare
machine with no OS and a spare hard drive, so I booted
up KNOPPIX on the spare machine and set up the system
to copy files off the dead computer's hard drives onto
the backup hard drive.

After about 24 hours only 15GB had copied between the
two hard drives, with 30GB to go.  I assume that
KNOPPIX's heavy memory use was slowing down the file
transfer, and I think I need a CLI-only LiveCD.

The most commonly used tools I need for such a LiveCD
are network capability (including DHCP client), Samba
support for mounting Samba shares on other machines,
and "mc" to make copying functions easier, such as for
Windows filenames with lots of spaces.  If anyone
knows of such a LiveCD, please let me know.