The Cube Efffect

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Thu Jan 24 11:04:22 CST 2008

On Thu, January 24, 2008 10:03, Arthur Pemberton wrote:

> I've heard much of the famed cube effect, and I think I have an
> adequately powerful test box on which to run it.

Note the common thread to these stories: Nvidia graphics cards.

If the machine our evangelical wonk had walked up to had had an ATI, it
would have been "Oh, um, this should work, maybe if I...." and not the
slick pitch he so glibly describes.

_Most_ recent Nvidia cards will work.  The absolute latest probably won't,
because the driver for the card won't be on the Ubuntu CD.  I'm real
surprised that Ubuntu is managing to distribute a workind 3D driver.
Until very recently, they had to be downloaded from Nvidia and compiled
for each kernel update, and the Nvidia driver was not being distributed by
any of the distros.

One thing for sure: a Compiz enabled disk will definitely be a great
demonstration of what Linux is and can be - one way or the other.