Remote access partition and install Linux. With a Near Zero skilledoperator at the remote site.

Kelsay, Brian - Kansas City, MO brian.kelsay at kcc.usda.gov
Wed Jan 23 08:00:36 CST 2008

First off, decide which LiveCD YOU want to support as an installed
system.  Pick one that will work on the bare minimum, lowest machine CPU
and RAM of the group.  If one PC is lower than all the rest, give them
Damn Small or Puppy and all the rest something else, realizing that you
now must support two distros.  Of the ones that fit that criteria, which
have installers, and which will give a decent user experience.

Say you decide that you want to go the *ubuntu route, look over some
existing install docs found on the Internet, then edit for your
audience.   It is likely that this group knows nothing about firewalls
or routers or even which box is the cable/DSL modem.  I have experienced
this with VPN users at work that have never had an ISP, much less
broadband Internet in their home.   Also, keep in mind that they are not
going to understand ANY lingo or jargon from the computer or linux
world.   You will need to replace or define all jargon words in the
install doc.   If the document you work from doesn't have any info about
working from LiveCD, then you will need to add to it.

Good Luck,
Brian K.