Raid card, for backup/entertainment system

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Sat Jan 12 10:30:55 CST 2008

On Tuesday 08 January 2008 05:40:45 pm lerninlinux at comcast.net wrote:

> Since it is low power, and my plan is to leave it on, I have been wanting
> to make it my NAS/Backup box, but I need to find either a SATA
> (preferable), or PATA, pci raid card.  Any suggestions?

As discussed before on this list and on IRC, true hardware RAID is not cheap.
A good RAID controller will cost several hundred dollars.  The "ATA Raid"
controllers are only capable of RAID 0 or 1, and are really not worth
spending money for, they rely as heavily on the CPU as pure software RAID
does.