Hybrid RAID in USB Drives- Mixing media as needed.

Oren Beck orenbeck at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 16:48:08 CST 2008

Ok- take a step out of the usual models. Here's something already seen but
not exploited properly.
Seven port USB hubs are now average $20 from some sources.
Flash Drives are Ballpark $10/GB or less size and type variables taken into
accoun
So using a few cheap drives as sacrificials and expensive ones for semiperm
storage we can tailor a composite Flash RAID to our needs. So far we've seen
this at various places as a hack.
What about a pocket drive case taped to a hub and radiating a few selected
drives as needed?
Boot from SDA into a Puppy or Damn Small Distro set as TORAM. Don't even
mount the Spinning HD of your RAID unless a session needs it! The limits of
using this base hybrid are rather awe inspiring. That 200 GB pocket Drive
for example.

Imagine a 7 port hub with 6 200 GB drives neatly arctic silvered  down IN  a
laptop cooler plate..

A tiny bit pricey compared to other ways, But 1.TB IN a laptop cooler case
seems way dare I say -COOL

--
Oren Beck

816.729.3645