Kclug Digest, Vol 42, Issue 11

Oren Beck orenbeck at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 16:15:20 CST 2008

On Jan 11, 2008 3:38 PM, Eric Johnson <ericlj63 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jan 11, 2008 3:18 PM, Luke -Jr <luke at dashjr.org> wrote:
> > On Friday 11 January 2008, gary hildebrand wrote:
> > > I would say since those thumbdrives are solid state, theoretically
> they
> > > should last forever, barring fire, flood, act of God, or static
> discharge .
> >
> > Uh, no. Flash drives are known to have a limited number of writes after
> which
> > they get stuck. That's why you never put swap on a Flash drive.
>
> Agreed. Run without swap if you are running off of flash, unless you
> like making trips to MicroCenter.
>
> There is a significant lifetime difference between low and high
> density flash. (I forget the actual technical names.) The low density
> lasts longer and it is also faster. Technically, this is because each
> memory location in the low density holds one bit (and is read simply
> high or low) while the high density holds 2 bits per location (which
> requires more precise reading of intermediate steps).
>
> The difference in lifetime is roughly "It will last a year" versus "It
> will last until I die". The difference in cost is pretty significant,
> also. The good ones are the high-end, high-speed ones sold mainly for
> photography purposes.
>
> ---
>
> I just looked it up - it's SLC vs MLC.
>
> http://www.edn.com/index.asp?layout=partnerContentDetail&articleid=CA6319917
>
> --
>
> Eric Johnson
>
> "Where your pleasure is, there is your treasure: where your treasure,
> there your heart; where your heart, there your happiness."
> Saint Augustine

Ok -a stated i another thread- The device I a trying to use is an actual
hard drive just a very small one. it's called a Microdrive and they are the
heart of
smal hs based music players. There was a time when certain players had a
street price of  1/3 the cost for that size microdrive itself! Which caused
some OEM embedded drives to be BROKEN BY DESIGN from having such "Drive
Harvesting" possible. The sordid details might take some Google Fu but it's
documented. Perhaps a new thread on Linux rescuing such borked in firmware
itemes is in order?

Well- the device I am using seems made for projects like mine.
There are IDE to CF converting units that a CF microdrive can run from, but
the Zen of a detachable USB device as a microcosm is more  elegant. Here's
the  pitch on Gary's  idea.We use  one FAST expensive drive as Write once
read many,. and CHEAP disposable drives as flash drive. Being serious- how
much use will it thke to kill even a swap device? Then we look at a 1gb
device being Eight bucks- ok we round it up to ten to cover travel and taxes
etc.Ten bucks a GB for "Sacrificial Flash" may be an experiment worth
kicking around?
And I have a WtF inducing concept beginning a new thread. HINT: How many USB
drives can Linux support at once?
--
Oren Beck

816.729.3645