Preferred mail client?

Jason D. Clinton me at jasonclinton.com
Thu Jan 10 10:51:17 CST 2008

On 1/2/08, Kyle Sexton <ks at mocker.org> wrote:

> What mail client are people using in Linux nowadays?  Mutt, Gnus,
> Thunderbird, Pine, mail, kmail, evolution, sylpheed?
>
> Post what you're using and why you think it's the best!

Solidly in the Google Mail camp. I use their Google Apps for Your Domain
service to keep my domain name but use the GMail interface. I use their
jabber service, calendar, docs, etc. And while there is that ever-present
privacy concern, my contract (yes, it's $50 per year for hosting) with them
spells out their legal obligations and Google has thus far said that they
will not respond to government fishing expedition requests as they consider
them illegal.

I have "jasonclinton.com" and my partner has "brandonward.us". We can share
calendars, docs, jabber federation between our domains.

It's very nice.

I blogged a series of articles about the sorry state of Linux GUI email
clients some time ago [1]; it's gotten quite a few hits. Since I blogged,
KMail has become unmaintained and is generally considered dead until such
time as new warm bodies show up to maintain it. Evolution and Thunderbird
are still slowly being updated but have a number of critical bugs.

[1] http://jasondclinton.livejournal.com/tag/email