Virtualization

Jack quiet_celt at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 9 03:09:53 CST 2008

--- Luke -Jr <luke at dashjr.org> wrote:

> On Tuesday 08 January 2008, Jack wrote:
> > I've been wanting to load KDE4 and start
> experimenting on it and deciding
> > when to roll it out to my "production" system.
>
> I don't think anyone is seriously considering KDE4
> in production until at
> least 4.1
No but I want to be comfortable with it before I get
to that point.

> > So I thought Xen or another virtual machine app
> might be a good choice.
>
> Or just install KDE4 alongside 3 and run it on a
> seperate X server.
> Failing that, a chroot should work nicely.
I'm really looking for solutions that allow me to
truly keep the codebases separate. I don't want KDE4
and other apps installed in the same environment as my
stable codebase. Is there something wrong with
installing and running Xen and other virtual machines?
Yes, chroot might be an option, although I've never
run an XServer in it before. Running from CD isn't an
option, remember I have to leave logged in users up
while I'm doing my testing on the same machine.
I would have thought though that this is a perfect
scenario for virtual machines.
And while on the subject of VMs, is it possible to
load Xen, and then do a restore of say Windows XP Pro
into a virtual machine? It would be nice to free up
that partition and do away with dual booting. Not that
the machine has been booted into XP ever, but it's
there taking up space, jic.

Thanks for your input,
Brian