Virtualization

Jack quiet_celt at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 8 13:33:26 CST 2008

Not being much of an Xen user, I thought I'd ask the
list for input. I've been wanting to test out some
newer applications and whatnot, but don't want to
shake things up on my existing platform. I've
considered multi-partitioning and multi-booting, but
that would be disruptive in a multiuser set up as
mine. I frequently have multiple X Sessions with
different users running, so rebooting isn't a good
solution. I've been wanting to load KDE4 and start
experimenting on it and deciding when to roll it out
to my "production" system. So I thought Xen or another
virtual machine app might be a good choice. Does
anyone currently run Xen, or are there others who have
an opinion on how I can have a KDE4 desktop and other
newest release software and latest kernel running on
on of my X Sessions, and still have the stable
production code on other's desktops? Separation of
code is important here, but I want to be able to
access the common /home and /root directories.

Brian