DNS alternatives (Was RoadRunner nonsense)

Luke -Jr luke at dashjr.org
Tue Feb 26 18:25:21 CST 2008

On Tuesday 26 February 2008, cragos at gmail.com wrote:
> TW's astandard DNS rollout is despicable and everything, but still: It
> might be argued that one should no more depend on their ISP for DNS
> than they would for email.

Unfortunately, we are forced to pay for these additional services no matter
how much we don't need them. Though DNS is more of a network resource to
optimize bandwidth usage than a service. To solve this, people should be
better informed on how to change DNS servers when the ISP has issues like
this. When these hacks start costing the ISP money (in bandwidth hitting the
net), maybe they'll reconsider.

> Might I recommend 4.2.2 1 - 4.2.2.6 and/or OpenDNS?

The primary use of OpenDNS is that they do this exact thing people are
complaining about the ISP doing... And before anyone says "you can turn that
feature off", note RR lets you turn it off as well.

> Anyone else got any easy to memorize DNS server IPs or something of the
> sort?

Root servers work for me.