RoadRunner nonsense

Oren Beck orenbeck at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 14:40:25 CST 2008

On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 2:01 PM, David Nicol <davidnicol at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 12:34 PM, Arthur Pemberton <pemboa at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > My fellow RoadRunner using geeks have no doubt noticed this themselves
> >  by now, but for everyone else, an article is up on Slashdot:
> >  http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/02/26/1741253
> >

> thanks, slashdot!  laughing until it hurts.
>
> http://ww23.rr.com/index.php?origURL=http://our.own.ass.with.both.hands

The initial 2 questions raised are Motive and Ethics.2 sub elements each.
With some ominous potential apparent when one expands the issues a bit.
If you feel me alarmist do please recall that history is being written by
how we handle issues like this one. The internet is unarguably now a part of
our lives.
Control of the internet thus becomes a control of our lives! Oh, my
questions?

Is it a profit motive of picocredits per typo cash flow, or some motive
where  breaking something in DNS as preparation to net anti-neutrality
directs this.

Is it ethical to break established de facto practices for self serving
reasons?
And is it ethical to alter the responses of a customer's software by literal
misdirection!

That last one is the most potentially abusive. Consider the history lesson
of how we got dial telephones. Almon Strowger was losing bodies to a rival
undertaker when human telephone operators "redirected" his calls.  Is DNS
any different of a "redirection?" Or consider it as social /religious
/political agenda.

THINK HARD on the next implied endpoints Type in X issue expecting truth and
be directed to profitable lies. But of course truth is  the enemy of some
profits.

--
Oren Beck

816.729.3645