RoadRunner nonsense

Billy Crook billycrook at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 13:06:06 CST 2008

I saw this within about 2 hours of implementation, way before it hit
slashdot.  I personally reported this to roadrunner as a DNS failure.
Twice.  I encourage you all to do the same.  Their numbers are
816-743-2444 and 877-623-7866.  If you look at the bottom right of
their spam page, there's a link to unspam yourself.  This prevents
their DNS corruption from affecting all DNS queries from your cable
modem.

If one were to look at how their opt-out page works, you http get with
a few args, one of which is your modem's mac address.  You could just
as easily post with any other cable modem's mac address, if say, you
had multiple, and didn't want to visit each physical location of them,
or maybe friends and family wanted you to disable their spam result
page.  Or maybe, if you were exceptionally clever, you could use curl,
and a for loop, to opt out every possible mac address of your modem's
series.  (Remember with mac addresses, the first half is usually the
same for a particular model of hardware.) This comes out to 16777216
possible derivations.  At 50 a second, you could opt all of a given
range out, in less than 4 days, that is, if you were so inclined...