Neat concept but the locking restrictions seem a GPL violation. In spirit at least?

Justin Dugger jldugger at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 14:31:08 CST 2008

On Tue, Feb 12, 2008 at 8:57 PM, Jonathan Hutchins
<hutchins at tarcanfel.org> wrote:
> On Tuesday 12 February 2008 19:46:26 David Nicol wrote:
>
>  > okay, but why doesn't, for instance gnome manager swap everything out
>  > instead of having to re-initialize itself when I reboot my etch? Because it
>  > would be more trouble than its worth, that's why.
>
>  Frankly, Gnome has always seemed to me the antithesis of swiftness and
>  efficiency.

Frankly, suspend to disk would be super slow with a 2GB of RAM.  Most
of that is likely disk cache anyways, which probably isn't so useful
anymore anyways.  Bootcharts often present a good idea of where your
time is being spent during boot, but there are substantial reasons why
booting should take time.

As mentioned, disk I/O hasn't really taken off the way memory
bandwidth has. Additionally, DHCP is a very slow system that could
take _seconds_ to work.  Mounting filesystems usually involve some
time; reiserFS for example takes like 30 seconds, of mostly disk I/O.
The video card usually has some timing delays to safely mode change,
in case your CRT is poorly made.  The way around these problems are
exactly what these guys are doing -- an extremely pared down system
with known attributes.

If you're a quality developer and feel that GNOME is slow, perhaps
profiling GNOME startup could reveal some easy performance gains.
Dave Jones did a similar experiment with X.org via strace.

Justin Dugger