Video processing

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Sun Feb 10 10:53:03 CST 2008

I have some .ts video files that are just under 7 gb in size.  They're 1080p
HD, and nothing I own appears to want to work with them.  VLC and mplayer
both seem to freeze on the first frame, avidemux reports it's unable to
determine the aspect ratio after trying to index the file, and tovid's idvid
returns

/usr/bin/idvid: line 261: 16#Stream: value too great for base (error token
is "16#Stream")

This is on an Athalon 2500 running at 1.8 Ghz with 512 M of ram.  What I'm
wondering is if I don't have enough ram to handle files this big, or if a 32b
processor/OS just isn't capable of it, or if the files themselves are
corrupt.  I have heard of people handling larger files with avidemux, so I
know it's possible.  Suggestions?