"Face" support in mail readers

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Fri Feb 8 16:05:58 CST 2008

On Fri, February 8, 2008 14:18, Steven Hildreth wrote:

> Jonathan Hutchins wrote:
>> Email is text.  If you want graphics, throw up a web page somewhere.

> You do realize the header is a maximum of 998 bytes. Even with 10,000
> email you are talking about 10MB of drive space.

Plus the HTML format that does a  complete copy of the text and lots of
usually badly formed redundant markup, plus the background image, and the
logo for the header, and the signature image...

> With the price of hard drives today being what they are ($70 for a
> 250GB, $0.00000028 per MB) I am not sure your point is valid, if your
> point is space consumption.

Yes, you or I can go get one of those and throw it on our home
frankenputer, but I can't upgrade my blade server that's only got one
drive space, or increment my NAS device nearly as cheaply or easily - to
say nothing of the cost of the time to do the paperwork to authorize the
work!

> Personally I think it's spiffy to see the author image on the email
> gives some personality and allows for some creativity.

You tap that MIME code out in morse for me on a single action key, then
we'll talk.

Seriously, we used to run mailservers as background processes on other
servers.  With the power they take now to do spam, trojan, and virus
scanning, this company's new mailserver will be dedicated, and will be the
most powerful machine in house.  The more useless crap you stuff in what
should be a plain text message, the more chances there are for infection,
and the more we have to scan.