"Face" support in mail readers

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Fri Feb 8 16:03:35 CST 2008

On Fri, February 8, 2008 14:18, Steven Hildreth wrote:

> Jonathan Hutchins wrote:
>> Email is text.  If you want graphics, throw up a web page somewhere.

> You do realize the header is a maximum of 998 bytes. Even with 10,000
> email you are talking about 10MB of drive space.

Plus the HTML format that does a  complete copy of the text and lots of
usually badly formed redundant markup, plus the background image, and the
logo for the header, and the signature image...

> With the price of hard drives today being what they are ($70 for a
> 250GB, $0.00000028 per MB) I am not sure your point is valid, if your
> point is space consumption.

Yes, you or I can go get one of those and throw it on our home
frankenputer, but I can't upgrade my blade server that's only got one
drive space, or increment my NAS device nearly as cheaply or easily - to
say nothing of the cost of the time to do the paperwork to authorize the
work!

> Personally I think it's spiffy to see the author image on the email
> gives some personality and allows for some creativity.

You tap that MIME code out in morse for me on a single action key, then
we'll talk.