Wacom Bamboo Tablet

Justin Dugger jldugger at ubuntu.com
Wed Dec 31 23:51:08 CST 2008

On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 1:59 PM, Jim Herrmann <kclug at itdepends.com> wrote:
> I got my daughter a Wacom Bamboo tablet for Christmas.  It works, and we
> figured out how to get pressure sensitivity working in GIMP, so it's fairly
> useful.  However, the eraser doesn't seem to work, and there are also extra
> buttons on the Bamboo that don't seem to do anything in linux.  The
> configuration information on the intertubes seems to be obsolete, like
> 2005ish.  X is no longer configured with etc/X11/xorg.conf apparently.  This
> is on Ubuntu 8.10.
>
> Does anyone have a Bamboo tablet and have everything working?  I'd
> appreciate any input.
>
> Thanks,
> Jim

I don't have a Bamboo but I do have a similar device built into my
laptop, and follow wacom in Ubuntu.

The trouble is that that the current Xorg method does not allow one
detected device to configure more than one input / output.  Hence, the
lack of an eraser.  The solution is to set up an xorg.conf file
anyways.  It will be used if present.  Our official documentation
should be handy here
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WacomTroubleshooting

For various reasons, we can't provide an xorg.conf for your device by
default; chiefly, KDE absolutely HATES it when a device is listed in
xorg.conf but not present.  I have no idea why it cares, but it does.

Lemme know if this doesn't help!
Justin Dugger