Whoops! Caught a bad update

Haworth, Michael A. Michael_Haworth at pas-technologies.com
Tue Dec 9 09:57:44 CST 2008

Looks like I caught a bad update from Fedora on Monday - I got the update alert with x number of bugfixes, updates, etc. and reviewed it like I would any windows update - had some dbus bugfixes, some ALSA, and a few others... Went ahead and applied them and then decided that I wanted to tinker with a few other things and add some packages.
 I open Add/Remove Software to search for what I am after and as soon as I click on a category I get greeted with "The group could not be queried Running the transaction failed" and under more details it cites  that it failed to get a TID because of a security policy"...

I immediately went to Google to see if there was an answer to be found that would make me look like a n00b, but there isn't  - there is only some acknowledgements that the error has been noticed - no solution. All of my Software Sources are missing, so even if a patch is to be released, I won't be able to see it at this point. I know that wiping and re-installing is the Windows way of fixing this, but I was wondering - is there a way to just 'undo' the updates that I applied the other day? I know that Linux doesn't have the 'Restore Point' functionality, but shouldn't there be a way to remove/regress packages (with no Software Source) to get back to a version that is preferred/functional?

I'm not really worried at this point - just that I haven't had to re-format for almost a week now (last one was due to some bad ATI drivers...), and was hoping to keep it going a few more days before I do something else foolish to my new OS.

Michael Haworth
PAS Technologies Inc.
Direct Line: (816) 556-5157
Mobile Phone: (816) 585-1033