Portable desktop/applications for Linux. We have some wintools but with issues

Oren Beck orenbeck at gmail.com
Mon Aug 18 09:20:34 CDT 2008

Many people I know are constant users of the portableapps suite. As it
makes life easier in several ways.

http://portableapps.com/

Is the tool in question.

Has anyone on list ever used the portableapps suite at all-and if so
did you get it to work in a Linux environment? Or do you know of a
Linux tool of similar functionality? I had thought of using a USB HD
resident distro in QEMU mode, began research on "how-to's" and found
issues mitigating the full urility.Such as - QEMU mode distros to my
research depend on unfree code in a windows environment at present. Is
my understanding correct? And public kiosk mode sites like the Kc
Library might not let me load QEMU at all.

So it went back to portableapps. As It just works on most windows
boxes . And does so tracelessly upon unmount. *NOT* for bad things
like abuses,, but for good ones such as not risking data leaks.

The initial searching I did found :

http://www.linuxfortravelers.com/running-portable-apps-on-linux

Which is a very nice Yes, it can be done.

The looking further to get a "how-to" found me another angle on the concept/s:

http://openlina.com/

 If any KCLUG folks as want to- test these and comment. Even if it's
only a roll call of if we tried and thought
it was.... reports. THAT would be all of us using and commenting on
real Linux uses. And attempting to draw in related projects from the
not fully free world so thy might become more free and open.

I have a thought on  interlacing some of this that depends on cross
platform coding. I am unsure of the best choices to make it simple.
Check out the sites I listed- they might be of interest.
--
Oren Beck

816.729.3645