Reply from Congressman Emanuel Cleaver concerningOrphanWorksActof2008

lowell lowell at kc.rr.com
Thu Aug 14 12:43:05 CDT 2008

Phil Thayer wrote:
> If I work harder and make more money it should be up to me how I use my
> money.  If I am a responsible citizen I will use my extra money to help
> others.  Or I may invest my money in businesses to expand the economy
> that would help others.  Or I could simply spend more time drinking in
> strip clubs and spread my money around that way. :)  But it is my money
> and it should be my choice how it is spent.  Not the governments choice
> to try and force me to distribute it to the lower income groups.

The state should not exist. You should dig your own well. (Be careful
where you put your outhouse.) You should build your own road if you need
to travel. (I assume you'll destroy it behind you as you go.) You should
put your own house out if it burns. You should defend your house from
burglars, robbers, & raiders. You should defend your own family when the
vast inequity you advocate brings the starving millions to your door to
take what you've gotten, however you got it.
A equitable society allows self-interest to do what it does best (within
obvious limits) while providing for those in need to a certain extent
(within obvious limits.) Equity prevents radically dangerous behavior
of all sorts (within less obvious limits.)
Can't happen? 476. 1789. 1917. 1949. 1959.