Reply from Congressman Emanuel Cleaver concerning OrphanWorksActof 2008

Jeffrey Watts jeffrey.w.watts at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 11:34:23 CDT 2008

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 10:56 PM, Jim Herrmann <kclug at itdepends.com> wrote:

> What has busted the budget is an illegal war entered into using known lies
> by an administration that should be tried in the Hague for war crimes and
> crimes against humanity.  Eliminate the war spending, which is borrowed from
> China, and you eliminate about half of the deficit.  Eliminate another 20%
> of a military budget that is larger than all the rest of the world combined,
> and we have a balanced budget.  Unfortunately, the next president, Obama,
> has been doing a bunch of sabre rattling about Afghanistan.  That won't be
> cheap.  So, I don't hold out much hope for that 20% reduction I'm talking
> about, but at least he'll get us out of Iraq soon.

I'm not sure how that's "sabre rattling".  We're already there.  He (and
McCain) is proposing actually addressing the problems in Afghanistan after
years of neglect by Bush.

Afghanistan, unlike Iraq, actually had terrorists in it before we went
there, and they're still there, hiding along the border of Pakistan.  Our
problem is that while we pour money into Iraq, we neglect Afghanistan, and
that's one of the key problems with our foreign policy.  We need to help
Afghanistan become a real country again, and we need to catch Omar and bin
Laden.  It's certainly not the same situation as Iraq.

Jeffrey.

--

"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from
oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that