Reply from Congressman Emanuel Cleaver concerning Orphan WorksActof 2008

Kelsay, Brian - Kansas City, MO brian.kelsay at kcc.usda.gov
Wed Aug 13 08:39:08 CDT 2008

What's in a name?  Actually I am partial Cherokee Indian.   I don't live
with the tribe or anything, but a grandmother of my grandmother was full
blood Cherokee.   My family suffered at some point, I'm sure.  Further
back, my family came here to the "Colonies" in 1620 and changed their
name, or it got changed for them thru back record-keeping, from Kelso to
Kelsay.  So we've been here a while and gotten mixed up pretty good
among the European, bloods.  I believe that one of the many potato
famines were going on in Ireland at the time.   They were however,
allowed to come to the "Colonies".   legally.   Meaning that Britain
specifically said they would allow a certain number of Irish people to
enter the "Colonies".  I went back and changed a few words when I
thought about the time frame involved.

Currently the US has a quota on how many people are allowed in from each
country per year and I believe that number is set to keep the numbers of
types of peoples balanced in this great melting pot of ours.  Those
rules on numbers and the method of entry are set down as immigration
law.  While you or I may not like them, we and those entering our
country do have to live by them until they are changed.   If you don't
like them, then personally work to get them changed.   Write letters,
protest, try to get into congress or whatever method you can think of if
it is something that sets you on fire.  BUT, entering this or any other
country remains an illegal enterprise, just as an improper lane change
without a signal, although that will not get you a ticket as quickly as
speeding in this town.
We are a nation of laws and to me that means something.

You must also think about the screening that is supposed to happen when
a person enters the country.  I know, I know, they didn't do that back
in 1620, but people also died of a lot of diseases and died of natural
causes before they hit 50.   So now we test for disease, we vaccinate,
we make sure they don't carry in food with fruit flies and things
growing on them.   I must've been asked about fruit like 20 times on the
way to and from Hawaii in 1996.  We make sure these persons have some
job or vocation lined up and other things so they are not a drain on the
system.  They must take classes to learn history, they must learn some
basic English, etc.   I do believe that putting signs, etc. in Spanish
is a crutch and a mistake.  Look at what it is doing to Canada.   I can
live with it though as long as everything defaults to English and I can
stop pressing 1.

Employers are being punished for employing known illegal immigrants.
Fines are being imposed and they are being watched closer for employing
illegals.  Those penalties are in the law and again, you can try to get
them changed to be more forceful.  I figure that once a company is in
violation of the law with one department, that others may start to look
their way also.   Maybe have a detailed health inspection and OSHA
inspection.

Funny you mentioned Cubans.  For one they are a lot smaller population
base and many were fleeing being murdered in the streets.   Papa Fidel
was no better than Stalin and killed many of his own people.   For
reasons of the type of situation they are leaving, certain peoples are
given leniency from time to time.   Cubans, Vietnamese, Philippinos,
Puerto Ricans, Samoans, etc. have been shown favoritism at times of
political distress and had their quotas raised.

Well, time to get some work done, good talking to you.  Now if we could
just get more people talking Linux by default.

Brian Kelsay