Reply from Congressman Emanuel Cleaver concerning Orphan WorksActof 2008

Jeffrey Watts jeffrey.w.watts at gmail.com
Tue Aug 12 16:00:22 CDT 2008

Brian, I'm assuming from your name that you're not Native American (the
modern usage).  How did your forefathers come to this country?  Did they get
a visa from the US consulate in their country?  Can you prove this?  The
reality is that unless one's relatives arrived after 1924 they most likely
just showed up here.

I get what you're saying, but the term "illegal" is overused here to imply
badness or criminality on the part of the immigrants.  When someone changes
lanes without signaling, they're driving "illegally" but you don't hear
people freaking out about that.  I'm not saying it's how things should be,
but I am saying it's not the big Mexican Scare that the GOP and Lou Dobbs
has been selling.  They're normal folks, just like us, that just want to be
able to work to support their families.

Instead of punishing them we ought to be addressing the real problem, which
is our crappy immigration policies and an environment where employers aren't
punished for violating the minimum wage, social security, and medicare
laws.  If there weren't sweatshops, there'd be less border-jumping.  If we
allowed more working class folks to immigrate, they're be less
border-jumping.  If we didn't have hypocritical laws such as "wet foot / dry
foot" there'd be less border-jumping.  You do know that illegal Cuban
immigrants are given green cards?

Anyhow, I do appreciate your reasoned rebuttal.  I actually agree with a lot
of what you're saying, I'm just arguing that we need to address the source
of the problem instead of the symptoms.

Jeffrey

--

"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from
oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that