win95/98/ME and printers. An ethics issue comparable to DRM servers or not?

Jeffrey Watts jeffrey.w.watts at gmail.com
Thu Aug 7 15:51:05 CDT 2008

Agreed, but "all-in-ones" are also much cheaper.  I don't need a scanner or
copier enough to warrant buying standalone ones for use at home, but if I
can get it for say $70 more as part of an all-in-one printer that seems
worth it to me for the convenience.

Given that we're talking about cost here as a major concern, I think that's
a valid thing for folks to look at.  However, if you only want a inkjet,
there are many solutions for you for under $50.

I felt the same as you did about integrated peripherals, but as prices have
plummeted I actually prefer them now.  I'd rather have an integrated
motherboard that costs $100 than a motherboard, SATA card, sound card,
graphics card, networking card that are all separate and cost $300 total.
If a component breaks I don't mind shelling out $100 to replace the whole
thing, and the lack of all of the connectors and sockets and impaired
airflow is a huge plus for me.

But, YMMV.

Jeffrey.

--

"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from
oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that