win95/98/ME and printers. An ethics issue comparable to DRM servers or not?

Jeffrey Watts jeffrey.w.watts at gmail.com
Tue Aug 5 09:29:23 CDT 2008

On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 5:45 PM, Leo Mauler <webgiant at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Book burning is done to remove from society things which a large
> organization no longer wants the public to have access, things which are
> merely (or mostly) harmful to the large organization and not to society at
> large.
>
> Religious organizations and governments have been the chief culprits, but
> non-governmental organizations not run by any specific religion have also
> used the tactic.  For example, in the early part of the 20th Century Anthony
> Comstock's New York Society for the Suppression of Vice inscribed
> book-burning on its seal, as a worthy goal to be achieved.

None of this has anything at all to do with the current discussion.  This is
not a censorship issue, nor are there any parallels to censorship.  Other
than you obviously being upset about their business decision I fail to see
any valid points raised by you.  You don't like that they've ceased
supporting older printers.  I get that, and I understand that that can make
things difficult for some people.  But that's not censorship, that's not
"evil", that's not The Man putting people down.  It's just what it is, they
made a business decision to cease supporting old printers.

This happens in almost every industry, it's just a lot more rapid in the
computing industry.  You can call them Nazis (that seems to be where you're
going next), but it's not a valid comparison.  If the issue is that you need
a printer that can work under Windows98, then ask for that.  I'm sure
someone somewhere has a used printer lying around somewhere.  Or check out
recycling places like Surplus Exchange, I'm sure they have more printers
than they know what to do with.

Jeffrey.

--

"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from
oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that