win95/98/ME and printers. An ethics issue comparable to DRM servers or not?

Jeffrey Watts jeffrey.w.watts at gmail.com
Mon Aug 4 14:55:28 CDT 2008

I get what you're saying, but there's _always_ a cost.  Big businesses have
a vested interest in forcibly obsoleting old equipment - after all, HP
doesn't make a dime on resold equipment of that kind.  Continuing to support
it via drivers and web resources doesn't make them any money, and in my
opinion only serves to generate support calls.

I see the larger point you're making, but in the case of winprinters I don't
think they're as big of a problem as you're making out.  Almost ever other
printer will work fine without drivers, the only ones that will have
problems are some winprinters, and those things eat up the performance of
older machines and to be honest should just go away.

I think given that regular old printers are plentiful, in the end the world
won't be a bad place if winprinters become unusable.

Jeffrey.

--

"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from
oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that