How do you feel about Windows piracy?

Arthur Pemberton pemboa at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 10:24:08 CDT 2007

On 9/30/07, feba thatl <febaen at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm curious as to what some of you think of Windows piracy. Do you think
> it's alright if it's only done to run software that only works on Windows
> due to MS's monopolistic tactics?

I generally do not bother with any piracy which is not for profit.

> Do you think it's alright if it replaces
> the purchase of a legit copy, as it hurt's MS's profit margin?

Not exactly the best rationale, but if that's what makes one feel better.

> Do you think
> it's always bad? Do you think that software should always be free anyway?

There are few cases where i think _use_ of software should be free.

> Are your decisions about this based on law or morals?

I would say neither, more like my own personal conclusions.

> Personally, I don't pirate software anymore, and it pisses me off to see my
> friends downloading *yet another copy of windows* to reinstall with *again*,
> instead of trying linux, but that's more about their lack of a brain than it
> is piracy.

Yah well, if Windows couldn't be pirated, it would have MUCH less
popularity. I haven't had to pirate a copy of Windows in ages, most
since I get free copies these days. Whenever I stop getting free
copies, I doubt I'll be too bothered about downloading it myself. The
bandwidth would be better used downloading the latest version of
Fedora or CentOS

( www.pembo13.com )