Embrace the Penguin

Kendric Beachey kendric.beachey at gmail.com
Mon May 21 22:44:43 CDT 2007

(Arthur--sorry you got this twice...that pesky "reply" vs. "reply to
all" business...)

On 5/22/07, Arthur Pemberton <pemboa at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/21/07, Jim Herrmann <kclug at itdepends.com> wrote:
> > I have come up with the chorus to a song that I think you will all
> > love.  It's called "Embrace the Penguin", which will essentially be
> > encouragement for people move over to the world of open source freedom.
> > What I would like to do with the verses, if you like the idea, is turn
> > them into sort of open source verses, and come up with them
> > collaboratively.  It's difficult to create art in a multi-opinion
> > collaborative process, but I think it can be done.  I will retain the
> > "project lead" position for myself, so the final "commits", if you will,
> > would be my responsibility, but I would like any and all input.  I think
> > we would just have to work together on the poetry, and I'll work out the
> > music.  Anyway, here's the chorus:
> >
> > Embrace the Penguin
> > Walk away from Redmond
> > Embrace the Penguin
> > Step into freedom
> > If you believe in living free
> > of corporate monopolies
> > then won't you please
> > join with me and
> > Embrace the Penguin
> >

> > So what should be in the verses?
> >
> > Let's have some fun.
> >
> > Peace,
> > Jim
>

> These kinda things lead others to liken OSS to a religion, don't you think?

Maybe, but the tune from "Don't Fear The Reaper" seems to work for the
chorus.  :-)

Some potential bits for verses...

My friend sent me a .doc file
Cost him two hundred bucks to make
I opened it with OpenOffice
How much money did that take?

My dad called me up in a panic
A virus really had him in tears
I really did try to empathize
But I haven't thought of viruses in years

--
Kendric Beachey