Pantent infingments?

RtX riverty at gmail.com
Tue May 15 20:52:52 CDT 2007

My boss and I had this conversation today. A lot of what Microsoft is saying
with this claim is that they want compensation for accessing their
proprietary services like Exchange and such.

It's screwy. A Blackberry (a non-MS product) can POP an Exchange server for
free but if the Linux community writes a piece of code that will interact
with an MS Exchange server, then this is infringement. There are even ways
to POP an Exchange server without it counting as a "connection" and
therefore not subject to client fees that MS would otherwise be getting.
There are other examples like including (or offering) the codecs to play MS
video or audio streams. MS feels that they should get money (of course) for
sucking streams using their fat codecs.

I, and others, feel that this is a FUD stunt to try and gain back as much
server and desktop real estate as they can. Vista is nothing but Windows XP
(turd) painted in fruity colors (painted turd) that is killing them in
expected revenue. Sales are not what they wanted and they are really pushing
hard to get as much money as they can, for as long as they can. Business are
listening. A company will not gamble on Linux, when the possibility of
having an IP war with MS hangs over their heads. All they want to do is make
the shit they make or sell the shit they sell. They are not in the IT
industry and don't understand the evils that MS does.

Either way, it sucks. Microsoft is a very bad company.

On 5/15/07, Arthur Pemberton <pemboa at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 5/15/07, Jon Pruente <jdpruente at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 5/15/07, Earle Beason <Earle-Beason at kc.rr.com> wrote:
> > > Anybody else know of any possible patents that could have been
> violated
> > > by the open source project as Microsoft has claimed?
> >
> > MS isn't going to tell.  Doing so will allow developers to code around
> > them, or will allow the Software Freedom Law Center to work to prove
> > the patent invalid.  They will just use this FUD to extort money from
> > large weenie companies who are scared of legal threats.  By revealing
> > exactly what patents are infringed, they open the door to people
> > working very quickly to remove the infringing parts, and thus making
> > the code base immune from further MS claims on those patents.
> >
> > Jon.
>

> In all fairness, not all patents can be coded around of.
>

> --
> Fedora Core 6 and proud

RtX...

Ty Unes - Overland Park, Ks.