Kclug Digest, Vol 34, Issue 3

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Mon May 7 18:21:27 CDT 2007

On Monday 07 May 2007 05:58:26 pm Earle Beason wrote:

> Quite frankly I don't understand Linux, I don't know how to code , I
> don't know all the in and outs, however I am learning it as I go.

I guess I've been very unclear about this.  No, you're not a "luser".  You're
willing to learn.  (In fact, I suspect that learning may be one of the
reasons you're into Linux.)

The people I mean to express scorn for are the people who come into support
channels on IRC and say things like "Don't tell me to use the console, I
don't want anything to do with text mode".

I meant to point out a certain stage of learning and development common to the
average SuSE user in that they still rely on Windows.  I, myself, was at that
stage for about six years while I ran Linux professionally on text-only
servers, and I'm still a bit of a newb when it comes to some of the GUI
stuff.

People who are willing to learn a little, and who want their computer to do
what _they_ want to do, not what what some corporate shill thinks they should
want to do are the people who should run Linux.

There will always be people who shouldn't run Linux though.  Some of them try
because it's a free way to pirate and run Windows games.  They have no
interest in how the system works or what it's doing, they just want to click
and go.

I don't consider Windows users undesirables.  I don't hate people because they
use Windows.  There are some users who I really think shouldn't user Linux
because they really aren't willing to learn anything new, and those people
should use Windows.