Preferred Linux Flavor for Web Server?

cragos at gmail.com cragos at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 11:54:02 CDT 2007

On Tuesday 13 March 2007 01:47:18 am Luke-Jr wrote:
>I've run a number of RPM based servers that didn't have X or >ALSA.  I've had
>problems with gentoo wanting to support wacom drawing >tablets for almost any
>application I tried to install - including documentation >packages!

Debian & Ubuntu's server & LAMP installs can also quite easily be
installed without X.  X is not installed by default on either of the
latter.

I installed the Ubuntu over Gentoo when I needed to drastically cut
the staging time/axe the overhead of make.  Used the same partition
scheme, and had absolutely no issues.  I believe it used a similar
amount of space on disk for the nearly identical package set I
installed.

On the matter of hardware support in Gentoo, on occasion it can be a
little finicky, but when running astandard hardware or doing other
screwball things, I've generally had better luck with Gentoo than
most.

-Sean