Using USB memory key as boot directory for older computer?

Oren Beck orenbeck at gmail.com
Fri Jun 29 15:31:27 CDT 2007

On 6/28/07, Luke-Jr <luke at dashjr.org> wrote:

> On Thursday 28 June 2007 13:01, Jon Pruente wrote:
> > Nope.  Swap is not needed.  It can help, but I've run systems with
> > 512MB-1GB of RAM with no swap, with no issues. It wasn't long ago that
> > most systems had 256MB of swap+RAM total.  Having actual RAM is better
> > than swap.  Swap is there to make up for not having enough physical
> > RAM.  RAM is cheap nowadays, so the need for swap is greatly reduced.
>
> Not quite. No matter how much RAM you have, swap is still a good idea
> (though
> of course not technically required). Some times it makes more sense for
> Linux
> to swap out a program so it has more RAM to cache files in. If you have no
> swap, it can't do that.

Ok, in the real world then - what is the default mode in a system having the
whole 8 Gigs of memory on board? Is the "swap" then truly no longer a
needful concept, or does it become a virtual swap to a soft set memory area?

Oren Beck

"8Gb of Ram per computer in the office? Can we then use 100 computers to
spatiallydispersed  hold  in RAM a 500 Gb hard drive's content =or the
reverse-one HD to load 100 computers with a project running totally as
ramdisk at 0300- to 0700?"