Stress Testing Hard Drives

Oren Beck orenbeck at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 13:59:15 CDT 2007

On 6/26/07, Billy Crook <billycrook at gmail.com> wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a program or method of stress testing hard drives?  I
> check memory/cpu with memtest86, but I would like some way to stress test a
> hard drive.  Currently I dd urandom over it for a few days or DBAN it, but
> I'm looking for something more thought out.  Preferably, a program that can
> run on a live system so I'd just attach the drive to be tested, and point
> the test at /dev/sdd or whatever dev it was on.  Preserving data on the
> drive is (obviously) not a concern.

While not all about stress testing the drive,I may have a stress reducer for
many of us

In several POS arenas we use a hardware mirror controller called "Duplidisk"

The best article explanation of the device is here:

Do take note that Duplidisk is totally OS and application agnostic  for it's
IDE device role.

Of a 2005 project run involving some 2900 of these there were maybe 3
failures  on systems relying on the Dupli, and 1 of those was my being given
an incorrect firmware update- which was recoverable from. The other 2? one
was in a lab confirming my firmware bug, and the third was "pepsi
syndrome-sadly dupli is not pepsi proof.
But as a real world dragonslayer it just plain works!

Oren Beck

"If you think some trick devices are too expensive consider the cost of
_not_ having used them"