Stress Testing Hard Drives

James Sissel jimsissel at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 26 10:18:16 CDT 2007

I stress tested a drive once by throwing it off a tall building.  It failed.

Billy Crook <billycrook at gmail.com> wrote:  Can anyone recommend a program or method of stress testing hard drives?  I check memory/cpu with memtest86, but I would like some way to stress test a hard drive.  Currently I dd urandom over it for a few days or DBAN it, but I'm looking for something more thought out.  Preferably, a program that can run on a live system so I'd just attach the drive to be tested, and point the test at /dev/sdd or whatever dev it was on.  Preserving data on the drive is (obviously) not a concern.