64-bit

William Harrington wwh04660 at ucmo.edu
Sun Jun 24 23:56:55 CDT 2007

On Jun 24, 2007, at 6:37 PM, lowell wrote:

> </lurk>
> Would the list care to comment on the current state of Linux on 64-bit
> mobo's?
> <lurk>

What the hell is a 64 bit mobo? Linux with 64 bit systems is ok, and
it depends on what architecture you are running it on. There are some
arches where it poses problems and that really relates to the version
of glibc you are dealing with. Right now with sparc64 there might be
a memcpy issue with glibc-2.5. Don't even deal with comments where
people might say "it doesn't deal with me." They could care less. For
those of us who actually attempt to further advancement with 64 bit
gear, hell even if the gear existed back in the 90's, we know where
it is going. It is ok. If you desire a binary that requires 32 bit
support, build multilib. If you don't build multilib, I'm sure your
fav distro might have both 32 and
64 bit libs. I just deal with  pure 64 bit builds right now.

You should probably be more clear on your comment of "the current
state of Linux on a 64 bit mobo."

Sincerely,
William