Technical side of the game question

Oren Beck orenbeck at gmail.com
Sun Jun 24 22:17:04 CDT 2007

On 6/24/07, Earle Beason <Earle-Beason at kc.rr.com> wrote:

> I read a lot on the response to getting games to play with "Wine",
> "VMware," and "Cedega 5.1" however, we on this forum are here because we
> want a chose and can afford the opportunity to play around with what
> ever distro we want. Ask your self, how many computers do you own? what
> would happen if you lost a system do to experimenting, Chances are your
> awnser is somewhat like mine, reload the software and see what I did
> wrong. I betting most of your personnel files are backed up somewhere
> safe, so you can frag your system and no harm done. The majority of
> Non-Linx user I encounter have one hard drive, and one computer, and
> have files of value they don't want to lose.
>
> My point behind this is we as a user base need to develop, or put
> pressure on game companies to make games so that the disc can be
> inserted, installed and played by people who don't want to rip out their
> hair, trying to figure Linux out.
>
> And the first person who tells me that they should go to microsoft, I
> swear I going to slap with a salted mackerel, microsoft has too
> much........

/me hands you self refilling barrel of salted mackerel...

And your comment about insert,install, and play.?

What of skipping the "install" by thinking outside the box a bit.
IF the issues are ones of the Resident OS either being damaged by an install
or not being able to play nice with an install for another flavor of OS?
simply IGNORE  the OS and run as Ramdisk.

It''s not too extreme an entry requirement to expect  a DVD drive for this
plan is it?
IF that hardware spec is coupled with a certain RAM size then we set a new
game plan up.
We've become comfortable with livedistros and Ramdisk based operation.
Putting those together with the concept of a Gentoo style build process then
offers something new.

A livedistro that probes for the essential system resources to run the game
in question.
That bulid file gets written to a net folder or local storage, thence
multisession written to the
media the game itself is on. What in the end is wrought by this seemingly
odd path?

A liveDVD incarnation of a game that has been built to only have those
resources for it's intended host.

Not a damned bit on that created from the "build stage": media would be
unneeded. And that needed part would include enough blank media space to
save character data etc That's the windup to the pitch. The real pitch is a
new game.
The new game- horrid pun intentional - is running the whole Linux OS and the
game app as Ramdisk.
IT works along this model.

Some forward thinking soul will release a game in this incarnation or
something akin to it.
The folks who bought 8 gig ram capable motherboards will stuff those boards
that full.
After the initial reports of games that run under Linux of any sort that no
longer suck we gain stret cred.