The key to getting more Windows users to switch to Linux | Hardware 2.0 | ZDNet.com

David Nicol davidnicol at gmail.com
Sun Jun 24 00:25:26 CDT 2007

On 6/23/07, William Harrington <wwh04660 at ucmo.edu> wrote:
> On Jun 22, 2007, at 5:06 PM, David Nicol wrote:
> > On 6/22/07, Billy Crook <billycrook at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> The problem is linux doesn't have tiers, so it has no top tier.
> > Isn't the top tier for linux called "Solaris?"
>     I don't see the humor or correlation in this. Are you okay?

The points I was trying to make included such opinions as:

    in the bigger picture, Microsoft is the upstart (compared with
IBM, HP, AT&T,
    UC-Berkeley, Stanford, DEC, etc)

    Commercial UNIX with commercial marketing tiers / product lines /
all that stuff
    has existed for some time; Commercial linux now contains them --
RHEL or Fedora
    is a perfect example of a <a
href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Product_line">
    "product mix."</a>

    Allusion to current events in GPL versioning gossip