The key to getting more Windows users to switch to Linux | Hardware 2.0 | ZDNet.com

Billy Crook billycrook at gmail.com
Fri Jun 22 16:59:44 CDT 2007

The author needs to learn how search engines work.  You can't converse with
them like a person.  "Why choose linux?" is not a smart query.  Maybe "linux
benefits OR advantages".  Furthermore, the question is not why one would
choose linux, but why one would choose windows.  Especially when it is so
obviously inferior.

And the last thing a newbie needs is a comparison of distros unless that
comparison clearly puts one above all others.  Too much choice is bad for
most people.  Take for example the windows market.  There are varying
degrees of "Home" and "business".  A home user might want home, but maybe he
thinks he wants something a little more.  "business" sounds professional,
lets get that, but wait, does that mean it will miss the fun things?  But if
he buys "home", will he miss the professional things?  Too much choice is a
recepie for confusion and frustration.  That's why microsoft has
"Ultimate".  With a name like that, Gladys in accounting can feel like she's
"getting everything".

The problem is linux doesn't have tiers, so it has no top tier.  Until it
does, sheeple won't know what they're supposed to think they want. [sic]
Until it does, I'm handing out Ubuntu discs.  When one of those doesn't boot
right, they get Fedora.