Need script help.

Monty J. Harder mjharder at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 11:24:55 CDT 2007

On 6/21/07, Jeffrey McCright <jmccright at hotmail.com> wrote:

> All,
>
> I have a friend who needs to run a shell script to process data in a space
> or comma delimited file. I think SED or AWK may be needed here, but I
> don't
> program so I need help. The ASCII File structure is similar to the
> following:
>
> Lastname Firstname internalphonenumber externalphonenumber phoneextention
> MACaddress ...

{command} Lastname {command} Firstname {command} internalphonenumber
> {command} externalphonenumber ...

It's not clear whether you want to produce a new file interpolating some
command(s) with these values or what, exactly

cat asciifile | while read LName FName IntPhn ExtPhn PhExt MAC Junk
 do
  echo "{command} $LName {command} $FName {command} $IntPhn {command}
$ExtPhn {command} $PhExt {command} $MAC"
done >outputfile

You may find the read metaphor easier than awk for this, because it's such a
PITA to get the extra quoted spaces in there.  You especially may find this
works better if instead of just producing this output, you're actually
needing to run some command(s)
inside the while loop.

Note the Junk at the end of the read statement.  It slurps up any extra
words on the input line past the last variable name.  That way the
MACvariable doesn't get junk in it.

etc...