Need script help.

Jeffrey McCright jmccright at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 21 08:47:18 CDT 2007

All,

I have a friend who needs to run a shell script to process data in a space
or comma delimited file. I think SED or AWK may be needed here, but I don't
program so I need help. The ASCII File structure is similar to the
following:

Lastname Firstname internalphonenumber externalphonenumber phoneextention
MACaddress ...
Lastname Firstname internalphonenumber externalphonenumber phoneextention
MACaddress ...
Lastname Firstname internalphonenumber externalphonenumber phoneextention
MACaddress ...
Lastname Firstname internalphonenumber externalphonenumber phoneextention
MACaddress ...

The fields are variable length.

My friend needs to be able to plug in commands in this script file so that
she can have something like:

{command} Lastname {command} Firstname {command} internalphonenumber
{command} externalphonenumber ...

etc...

The file contains around 1400 records or more. Each record needs to be
processed as above.

Does this make sense? Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jeffrey A. McCright, A+